My recipe for a super light, soft and fluffy vanilla sponge cake. Quick and simple sponge cake bases and ready to decorate whatever you like. You can make a Christmas or Birthday really special or even let the birthday king or queen help decorate their own birthday cake.
(A) Egg yolks:
• 3 egg yolks
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 4 tbsp corn oil
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 4 tbsp milk
• 6 tbsp cake flour
(B) Egg whites:
• 3 egg whites
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
• 4 tbsp sugar
You will need 6-inch round baking pan or 1lb loaf tin. Line with the prepared round of parchment paper in the bottom and the sides and touch with remaining batter.
1) In a bowl, mix (A) egg yolks, sugar, corn oil, vanilla and milk. Sift cake flour x 3 times and whisk until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk (B) egg whites until foamy then add cream of tartar and sugar a little bit at a time until to a thick and stiff peak stage, about 3 minutes.
3) Gently fold until the whites and yolk mixture to incorporated. Be careful do not over mix if not your cake won't rise.
4) Pour the mixture into 6 inch round baking pan. Bang the pan 2-3 times to remove any air bubbles.
5) Use a large baking pan for a hot water bath or without the moist heat. Keep the oven rack adjusted to the middle position. Bake at 150°C for 45 minutes or until cake tests done. Leave to cool in the oven with the door open for at least 15 minutes and remove the cake from oven and bang your pan again to prevent it from shrinking when it cools down.
6) Transfer the cake to a plate for serving or use as the basic for a range of fabulous christmas or birthday cake. Any leftover cake can be covered and kept in the fridge for 2 days.
1) Be careful not to open the oven during the baking process.
2) Over mixing cake batter can result in a heavy, sinking fast, closed to rubbery texture.
3) Cut a path down and don't stir and never use an electric mixer for mixing.
4) Cakes shrink or wet if they're not baked thoroughly.
5) Do not over or under-beat the egg whites.
6) Baking cake at a lower temperature will help the cake rise much higher and bake more evenly.
7) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart and crack on top.
8) Beating egg whites is a very important process, It will help your cakes rise with perfectly.
9) Cover with foil after a few minutes if the cake of top starts to get brown and continue rising
nicely with a golden top.
8) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently. You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
Recipe Source: JosephineRecipes.Co.Uk